Unger Ergotec Ninja Squeegee
Get Spotless Windows With The Unger Ergotec Ninja Squeegee
You want windows that are so clean that they look invincible. Being the eyes into the building, their state has a huge impact on everything else. When there are dirt spots coating the glass, they prevent adequate light from getting in, some casting unsightly shadows into the interior space. Those layers of grime reduce the amount of natural sunlight and warmth, meaning that you end up racking up your power bills as you run your heating and air conditioning systems harder and for longer. There are even those buildings, especially commercial establishments, where management is forced to leave lights on even during the middle of the day when the sun is all out and bright, simply because the interior has been dulled by the dirt that has built up over time on the windows. Not only does this create unconducive working conditions, but it also negatively affects your image. What will your customers think of about your business when they access your premises, and the first thing that greets them even before they’ve walked through the front door is windows that are soiled? It reflects poorly on the professional standards that you vow you deliver your products and services with. Even at home, the sight of dirty windows each time you pull up your driveway can put you in a foul mood. Is there a great view outside your property? It must have been one of the key factors that made you move into the residence in the first place. It’s a shame when dirty windows come in the way of you enjoying the view. These are not the conditions you want to live or work in. Quality products are needed to ensure the windows receive a thorough clean, and that’s what you get with units like the Ergotec Ninja Squeegee.
Introducing The ErgoTec Ninja System
This is a premium range of products, that have been designed to address the window cleaning needs of professional contractors to ensure quality and performance as they carry out their operations. The products are geared towards reducing the workload, minimising the resources required hence cutting down costs incurred as you carry out the task, while still delivering an optimal clean that leaves your clients satisfied with your job. The products in this line range from the Ergotec Ninja Washer that comes with a highly absorbent sleeve in sizes that range from 25 to 75 cm, made using lightweight but strong anodised aluminium; the Ergotec Ninja Microfibre Cloth that picks up even those microscopic particles on the surface, and also has scrubbing corners, the Ergotec Ninja scraper for those bits of grime that have strongly adhered to the surface and stubbornly refuse to come off from the sticker residue and insect gunk that has dried onto the glass- and it even has a holster that you can fit onto your belt and use it on the go- which is pretty nifty when working on multiple windows, all through to the Ergotec Ninja Squeegee, which we're reviewing here. There is also the Ninja Bucket-On-A-Belt, which gives you fast and safe access to the tools you're using, and it has a lock that is easily attached to any belt. It can hold the squeegee, washer, safety scraper, and even cleaning liquid, making it a convenient tool to work with. These products blend together to make the cleaning process a breeze, and incorporating them into your arsenal allows you to enhance your operations and satisfy your clients’ window cleaning needs.
How To Use The Unger Ergotec Ninja Squeegee
1. Start by preparing the cleaning solution in the preferred storage unit- even a bucket will do. Use a cleaner that is safe for the particular kind of window, and follow the dilution ratio indicated on the product label. Usually you just need to add enough detergent such that the solution is just a little slippery to the touch.
2. Now wash the glass. Simply dip the window washer into the solution, and, since you don’t want drips winding up all over, squeeze out the excess liquid. Wash the glass using a circular motion, taking care not to overwet it. After all, you don’t want to increase your workload and spend hours on just a few windows. Also try to keep the frames dry.
3. Next is the squeegee- the fun part of the process. Grab your Unger Ergotec Ninja Squeegee and get started. Relax your posture- especially the shoulders, wrist and arm, and just let the squeegee sit in your hand. You don’t need to apply excess pressure on the window. The design of the squeegee -especially with the rubber, allows minimal effort to be applied. You also want to avoid being tense and tight, which will result in you getting tired quicker.
For the squeegeeing process, there are two factors to consider:
• The base distance- This is basically how the squeegee has been positioned in reference to the glass surface. Observe how you’ve held the squeegee on the glass. The appropriate distance is under 7cm. This is to ensure that it is the sharp edge of the rubber that is used, resulting in better and streak-free results. When held at the correct angle, you can extend your little finger and it should not touch- but be close to- the glass surface. Why is this important? With too small a base distance -like under 5cm, it will slow you down, and likely result in streaking. When it is too large- say over 9cm, the squeegee may end up "jumping" or "shuddering", which will result in patches of moisture being left on the glass. Maintaining a good base distance, whether you’re cleaning top-to-bottom, or across, using the plain handle or working with an extension pole, or using techniques such as the fanning method, will make the process much easier.
• Cutting edge - This is to avoid the notorious "crying window", a situation where water travels out from the frames onto the glass after you begin squeegeeing the window. One cuts an edge to prevent this. Basically, a dry zone of 1cm-2cm along the length of the frame is made using a cloth or the edge of the Unger Ergotec Ninja Squeegee itself. It is from this dry zone that you will proceed to squeegee the rest of the window.
The method you use (whether cleaning cross or top-to-bottom) depends on what is more convenient to you. Generally, cleaning across is preferred because it makes it easier to maintain a consistent base distance and allows you to control the squeegee better. What’s more, the moisture gets to evenly fall down the glass, and it is easier to catch it before it gets to the bottom frame. You can also combine both and squeegee across and down- but this may be difficult because of the frame or width of the glass. There are no strict rules here. It's all about the end result anyway.
How to go about it:
i. First cut the edge as described above. If you’re right-handed, and working from left to right, dry the area along the top and left-hand side of the window frame.
ii. Place your Unger Ergotec Ninja Squeegee on the dry part, and gently glide it across the window from the top left side to the top right side- without making any stops. Ensure that the top edge of the squeegee has been positioned slightly forward, as it will help to guide the cleaning solution down the glass.
iii. When you reach the opposite side, pull up the handle slightly and bring the rubber to the edge of the frame.
iv. Remove the Unger Ergotec Ninja Squeegee from the glass, and wipe away the moisture that is on its rubber using a cloth.
v. Repeat the steps ii- iv for the rest of the window, overlapping the passes with 3-4cm.
5. After you’re done working on the window and there is some moisture remaining on the edges, a quick wipe with a lint free cloth will be enough to remove it.
Why You Should Invest In The Unger Ergotec Ninja Squeegee
You want to reduce your workload during the window cleaning, not to complete the process feeling all worn out. The swivel handle of the Unger Ergotec Ninja Squeegee makes it easy to work with. That way when you’re cleaning with poles you get a wider range of use, and also those hard-to-reach areas can now be given a thorough clean. The swivel function of the handle is adjustable, and its tension can be increased or decreased using the stainless steel screw. The Ergotec Ninja Squeegee also comes with a lock button that allows you to lock it in centre position. Even the SmartClip can be operated with one hand, whether you’re closing or opening it, to pulling the rubber to adjust the tension.
With the extruded aircraft aluminium T6 channel of the Ergotec Ninja Squeegee, you won’t have to worry about it bending or breaking during operation.
3. Long channel
With a 14"/35 cm channel, this reduces the amount of time spent on the process, by allowing you to clean larger surfaces at a go. This is of great importance when you have multiple windows that are waiting to be attended to, and you want to get through them all fast while still maintaining quality results. You get to ensure that it has been appropriately positioned using the Ninja star markings that are on it.
4. Smart Clip
This is the end clip mechanism, that clicks once it is in place. It securely holds the rubber as you clean, and in case you need to increase its tension you don’t have to disassemble the whole apparatus- simply pull the rubber. When the clip is open, it has a signal coloured area that will bring this to your attention. This ensures that you are able to ascertain that the apparatus has been securely set up before you start the cleaning. When it comes to the maintenance, you can replace the SmartClips by hand, or alternatively use a screwdriver.
5. Safe to use
The Ergotec Ninja Squeegee has been designed with safety in mind. Its locking cone enables the squeegee to fit securely on the pole onto which it has been attached. This prevents it from coming off during usage. When the button is in, it locked, and it’s unlocked when the button is out. What’s more, the channel comes with a TriLoc Mechanism, that prevents it from accidentally getting separated from the handle. This also allows secure change and repositioning of the channel when needed.
6. Trusted brand
What says quality assurance more than a business that has been in operations since the 1960s, providing products across the different continents? Unger is a world leader in the window cleaning niche. Since its founding by Henry Unger in Hamburg, it has grown in leaps and bounds. This is attributed to consistently maintaining high standards, and tailor-making solutions that meet diverse customer needs. The tireless pursuit of innovative solutions that meet the changing needs, to make the processes faster and more efficient, while protecting the windows themselves, has driven Unger from its German roots to serve clients all around the world. Even today, just as it was for the over 50 years that have passed, customer is still king. Unger partners with professionals to develop cleaning solutions that are geared to delivering quality results each time, and the Ergotec Ninja Squeegee falls right into this.
Extra Tips As You Work With The Unger Ergotec Ninja Squeegee
• Practice having a relaxed grip. It may look obvious, but some tend to apply excess pressure when working on the window. You can convince your mind that you hardly need to apply any force by first wetting a section of the glass and passing the Unger Ergotec Ninja Squeegee across it with gentle pressure. Rewet it and make another pass with even less pressure and compare the results. Do another stroke with far less pressure than the first two. With the rubber of the Unger Ergotec Ninja Squeegee being in good condition, you will notice that barely any energy is needed for the task. Once you get the hang of it, it will come naturally.
• You can use the squeegee together with the window washer, especially when you’re cleaning the interior sides of the windows, in order to reduce the drips and prevent a mess from forming. Simply position the window washer directly under the Unger Ergotec Ninja Squeegee.
• Wipe immediately after the washing. Leaving the windows to dry in the sun will simply increase the work needed.